VA Benefits FAQ
Obtaining information about VA Burial Benefits can be confusing, so here a few frequently asked questions to help make them more understandable.
Who is Eligible to receive VA Burial Benefits?
In short, the veteran must have been honorably discharged. A more detailed list of those service men and women who may apply for, and receive veterans' burial benefits, with full military honors if they choose would include:
- Military members on active duty or in the Selected Reserve
- Former military members who served on active duty and departed under conditions other than dishonorable
- Former military members who completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and departed under conditions other than dishonorable
- Former military members discharged from the Selected Reserve due to a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.
How do I apply for Benefits?
- You will need to provide your Honorable Discharge Papers, called Form DD-214.
- This can be identified by the words ”Form DD-214” in the bottom left.
- If served prior to 1950, this will be called a ”Report of Separation”, or the following:
- WD AGO 53-55, NAVPERS 553, NAVMC 78PD, NAVCG 553
- Each benefit needs a specific form sent to a specific organization for each. More information can be found on the VA's Burial Benefits Page linked below.
- Each form comes with instructions to follow that explains what information is needed and where the form needs sent in order to be received.
- Do not hesitate to contact us if you need help acquiring, filling out, or sending in any of the benefit forms you need.
How do I acquire a Form DD-214 for my service?
- Free Option – Complete and Send in a VA Standard Form 180.
- This option can take anywhere from 3-8 months.
- Follow up or requests to get it faster are not taken.
- Can be sent via Mail or Fax, no email or phone requests.
- Paid Online Services – exdd214.com
- These services charge a fee to acquire your DD-214 for you
- Takes less time then the Free Option
- Generally the price goes up the sooner you want it by.
- Moore Family Funeral Homes
- Should you pre-plan with us, we will go ahead and apply for a copy if you do not have one.
- We apply via the Free method and will provide you with the original once it comes in and we copy for our records.