VA Benefits FAQ

Obtaining information about VA Burial Benefits can be confusing, so here a few frequently asked questions to help make them more understandable. 

Who is Eligible to receive VA Burial Benefits?

In short, the veteran must have been honorably discharged. A more detailed list of those service men and women who may apply for, and receive veterans' burial benefits, with full military honors if they choose would include:

  • Military members on active duty or in the Selected Reserve
  • Former military members who served on active duty and departed under conditions other than dishonorable
  • Former military members who completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and departed under conditions other than dishonorable
  • Former military members discharged from the Selected Reserve due to a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.

How do I apply for Benefits?

- You will need to provide your Honorable Discharge Papers, called Form DD-214.      

          - This can be identified by the words ”Form DD-214” in the bottom left.

          - If served prior to 1950, this will be called a ”Report of Separation”, or the following:

                   - WD AGO 53-55, NAVPERS 553, NAVMC 78PD, NAVCG 553

- Each benefit needs a specific form sent to a specific organization for each. More information can be found on the VA's Burial Benefits Page linked below.


          - Each form comes with instructions to follow that explains what information is needed and where the form needs sent                 in order to be received. 

          - Do not hesitate to contact us if you need help acquiring, filling out, or sending in any of the benefit forms you need. 

How do I acquire a Form DD-214 for my service?

Free Option – Complete and Send in a VA Standard Form 180.

              - This option can take anywhere from 3-8 months.

              - Follow up or requests to get it faster are not taken.

              - Can be sent via Mail or Fax, no email or phone requests.

Paid Online Services –

              - These services charge a fee to acquire your DD-214 for you

              - Takes less time then the Free Option

              - Generally the price goes up the sooner you want it by. 

Moore Family Funeral Homes

                - Should you pre-plan with us, we will go ahead and apply for a copy if you do not have one.

               - We apply via the Free method and will provide you with the original once it comes in and we copy for our records. 

If you have any questions about your eligibility, or that of a family member, call us at (513) 561-9580. If you have any questions about your eligibility or that of a family member, contact the staff of one of our locations or send us an email using our contact form.